Dr. Harper, creator and editor of Sistah Vegan: Black Female Vegans Speak on Food, Identity, Health and Society (Lantern Books 2010) and author of Scars: A Black Lesbian Experience in Rural White New England (Sense Publishers 2014) is searching for 2-3 people to help take her public speaking and published works to the next level. Until she can get more funding, the first position will be volunteer and the position of Public Speaking and Events Assistant (2 available) will have a salary that is commission-based. These are all remote positions that can be done if you have easy access to the internet.
Scars book Promotion Assistant (Part-Time Remote, Volunteer)
Who the Right Candidate is and Potential Responsibilities:
- You know how to use social media tools such as tumblr, Facebook, WordPress, Pinterest, and Twitter to promote new book projects and get people excited about them.
- You know a lot about LGBTQ organizations and media outlets in North America for books like Scars
- You know a lot about anti-racist and people of color empowerment organizations, bookstores, and media outlets in North America for books like Scars
- You know how to figure out which university offices and departments would most likely be interested in receiving Press Releases, via email, about Scars. (Click on title to find out more about this new book)
- You will research which media outlets would be best suited to receive information about Scars, such as blogs, radio shows, podcasts, book stores, and magazines and then send them a press release and an email invitation.
- You can use (or learn how to use ) freepressrelease.com and similar tools.
- Salary: Volunteer with potential for monetary compensation if Dr. Harper receives grants and donations to help promote the book.
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and resume/CV to Dr. A. Breeze Harper at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject heading ‘Scars Book Promotion Assistant’.
Application Deadline: To Be Filled As Soon As Possible and will end June 2015.
Public Speaking and Events Assistants (Part-Time Remote, Commission Based) ( 2 positions available)
Who are the Right Candidates:
- You are familiar with the published works of Dr. Harper and have a clear grasp of concepts such as critical food studies, critical race studies, Black Studies, and/or feminist studies.
- You are creative on ways to persuade organizations and individuals why the nature of Dr. Harper’s work can enhance their goals and/or core values.
- You know how to be concise, creative, and innovative when explaining why books like Sistah Vegan, Scars, and Dr. Harper’s newest book project about hip hop and Black vegan men, will positively support an organization or institution’s staff and students’ learning and development experiences.
- You know how to figure out which university offices and departments would most likely be interested in Dr. Harper’s work and potentially invite her to give a talk.
- Salary: 10% of each honorarium earned by Dr. Harper. For example, if you book Dr. Harper as a keynote speaker and the institution offers $3000, you get $300.
- Contacting non-profit organizations and universities to ask if they would like Dr. Harper to come and speak for a honorarium.
- Sending out targeted emails and Press Releases to potentially interested parties.
- Researching and identifying which universities, organizations, institutions, and other non-profits that would potentially be interested in hiring Dr. Harper to give in-person or video-conferenced lectures.
- Find and book 2-3 speaking events per month.
- Using Excel or Google Documents to track and document who you have contacted and the outcome.
- Using Google Calendar to input speaking engagements.
Duration of Role:
- To Be Filled As Soon As Possible and will end June 2015
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter and resume/CV to Dr. A. Breeze Harper at email@example.com with subject heading ‘Application for Public Speaking and Events Assistant’.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.