Yup, that’s right.
I said “vagina.”
Stop being squeemish. (LOL)
For real, though, let’s talk about vaginal health. Yea, it’s a broad topic, but I am going to focus on maintaining vaginal moisture through herbs and food.
They sell so much lube in the stores, I have always wondered if it is ‘normal’ that so many vaginas in the USA have problems with ‘dryness’. I mean, what did people do before AquaLube?
Throughout my life, I have talked to so many females adults, sexually active or not, who are having major problems with finding a way to be wet all the time. Many experience chaffing and have to use personal lubricant just to walk around comfortably.
So, here I am, Sistah Vegan, about to talk about some suggestions to kept that vegan vagina’s moisture in harmony. And yea, you can consider these suggestions even if you aren’t vegan. But I wanted to focus on vegan vaginas more because I have also spoken to a significant number of females who have transitioned into veganism and then make the observation that their libidos are non-existent and/or they are having problems with vaginal wetness. It’s not the vegan diet, it’s probably just the fact that you aren’t getting what you need in your diet.
- Dammit, drink at least 70 oz of water per day. And this is if you are NOT even pregnant or lactating. If you are lactating and or pregnant (or both), drink at least a gallon a day. The water can’t be some dead chlorinated liquid. Filtered water is healthier. Stop drinking anything and everything that makes your body acidic. Stop the sodas and coffee and try to purify through water and reproductive health balancing teas.
- What herbal teas? These: Red Clover (don’t take if you are pregnant), Nettles Leaf, Red Raspberry Leaf, Oatstraw. I personally don’t do all of these and prefer drinking 3-4 cups of Nettles leaf tea. Make sure you simmer your Nettles in boiling water for 3 minutes to neutralize the stinging component.
- Want a method to achieve orgasm and healthy libido that isn’t tested on animals? Try Hypnosis Erotica. Seriously, this stuff works!!!!
- Slippery Elm. The name says it all. Slippery Elm is from the bark of a tree and can be made into a tea or a porridge. It is highly nutritious and has a plethora of medicinal uses. It is very hydrating and after taking it for a few days, you will notice that your vegan vagina will be oozing vaginal fluid.
- Okra. That’s right. That slimy stuff my dad used to make in boiling water is actually good for your vegan vagina. Queen Afua, a vegan raw foodist who promotes whole foods veganism to put your vagina back into harmony, recommends raw okra in her book Sacred Woman. In Sacred Woman: A Guide to Healing the Feminine Body, Mind, and Spirit
She wants you to chop it up and mix it with flax seed oil and eat it…raw. That’s right. Don’t complain about the taste and stop with that look of horror on your face. LOL. If that is too much for you, try baking okra on low, lathered in olive oil for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Eat it several times a week. If you’re pregnant, it’s excellent to eat throughout the pregnancy. That nasty slimy sh*t that used to freak me out when my dad ate it is REALLY healthy. That slime gets in your system and helps ease labor because it makes your vaginal canal uber slimey to pass that big headed baby through.
- Chia Seeds. Only in USAmerica would a company take such a sacred seed and turn it into a freaking chia pet. Seriously, WTF!? Well, that Chia Pet is a distraction from that real purpose of chia seeds. Not only are these little seeds packed with tons of protein, calcium, and EFAs, they are amazing in restoring and maintaining the moisture in your body. This little black seeds hold up to 10 times their own volume in water. Soak your seeds, about 1-2 tbsp a day in 10-15 oz of water for 15 minutes before drinking the chia seed drink. People eat chia seeds without soaking or grinding the seeds. You need soak chia seed in water or you’ll destroy your tummy and feel like poop. I recommend actually soaking them over night, but if you’re too impatient for the you can soak them for about 15 minutes. I soak them over night and it helps be assimilate the nutrients in them much better.
- Okay, if you’re vegan you better be eating EFAs. Chia seeds are high in Omega 3-6-9. But you also need to be getting those good fats and DHA in your diet. Take a vegan source of DHA. I take 400 – 600 mg of Deva Algae based DHA each day (I’m nursing, that is why. You probably just need 200-400 if you aren’t nursing or aren’t preggers). I eat 1 avocado a day as well and about 1/4 c of hemp seeds.
- By far, I think Maca Root has had a profound effect on me. I have spoken about it many times in the past. It’s great to balance the hormones in a way that makes your libido healthy. A lot of women experience low libido for many reasons, but one of these major reasons is that the hormonal system is not in balance. This could be because of postpartum issues or you could be entering menopause. I recommend Maca Root Powder. And not just any one, but the one offered that is organic by Sol Raiz Organics. There’s is a special heirloom variety called Lepidium Peruvianum Chacon and I really feel the difference in comparison to the standard ones they sell in the store. Not all Maca is the same and most people are buying low quality varieties that don’t have the same effects as the Chacon one.
- Exercise! At least 20-30 minutes a day.
- Spicy food. Come on, I can’t be the only one who wants to get ‘freaky’, once I overdose on spicy Indian or Pakistani food. Fresh ginger, cayenne, and turmeric increase libido and vaginal wetness. Garlic too, but it’s really quite ‘fragrant’ and it’s hard to get your freak on with your girlfriend or boyfriend or spouse if you smell like a garlic pizza. But, if that turns your lover on, go for it!
- Sleep and relaxation. Make sure you get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.
- Want a method to achieve orgasm and healthy libido that isn’t tested on animals? Try Hypnosis Erotica. Seriously, this stuff works!
I have to say that of the 10, the top 4 that I really suggest are the Hypnosis Erotica, Slippery Elm, drinking a lot of healthy water, and the Maca Root.
If you want to learn more about sexual health and increasing your vagina’s happiness as a vegan wombman, I recommend reading the chapter in the Sistah Vegan book by Angelique Shofar, who beautifully tells you the vegan foods to eat to make a happy yoni. The chapter is called “The Food and Sex Link.” You can buy a copy here: Sistah Vegan: Food, Identity, Health, and Society: Black Female Vegans Speak . Other sexuality related blog pieces that you may enjoy can be found here, where I talk about my new social fiction novel that comes out this summer and explores the sexuality of a young Black teenage girl, struggling with living in rural White New England.
If you enjoyed learning about your/the yoni, or other work I have done, if it has helped you, your organization, your students, your family, etc, and you want to see it go to the next level of a non-profit social justice organization, please contribute what you can by clicking on the GOFUNDME Link below. My non-profit will offer webinars and literature about reproductive health that are holistic and plant-based. If you do not want to use this method, but prefer paypal, click on the link on the right upper corner of this blog page to donate via PAYPAL.
Disclaimer: Please consult your practitioner before trying anything on this suggestion list.