UPDATED LIST OF TALKS for the Sistah Vegan Online Conference.
We just added this talk with the wonderful pattrice jones: “From Critiquing Thug Kitchen to Revealing Vermont’s Speciesist White Agricultural Narrative: pattrice jones tells us about her Vegan Praxis of Black Lives Matter as a White Ally”.
A few months ago, I wrote about pattrice’s brilliant new book Oxen at the Intersection, which I highly recommend to many people– especially those who want to understand the narrative that white Vermont created for itself in terms of locavorism, a ‘natural’ dairying state, and its collusion to white supremacist ways of thinking about non-human animals and ‘being green.‘ pattrice jones also wrote a critical essay about Thug Kitchen a few months ago.
See below the other talks and discussions we have in store for you as well.
DATE: April 24-25, 2015 Sistah Vegan Online Conference
“The Vegan Praxis of ‘Black Lives Matter': Challenging Neoliberal Whiteness While Building Anti-Racist Solidarity Among Vegans of Color and Allies (Before, After, and Beyond Ferguson )”
Workshops, Discussions, and Talks (Tentative and Growing)
- “Funding Pro-Vegan Anti-Racist Projects: Challenges and Strategies in a ‘Post-Racial’ Era” | Panelists: Alissa Hauser and Dr. A. Breeze Harper”
- “Locating Intersections and the Decolonization of Veganism through Black Womanist Theology” | Candace Laughinghouse, PhD Candidate (Regent University)
- “From Critiquing Thug Kitchen to Revealing Vermont’s Speciesist White Agricultural Narrative: pattrice jones tells us about her Vegan Praxis of Black Lives Matter as a White Ally” | Speakers: A. Breeze Harper (interviewer) and pattrice jones of VINE Sanctuary
- “‘The Pig is a Filthy Animal': Challenging Speciesist ‘Race-Conscious’ Black Liberation Rhetoric (Before, After, and Beyond Ferguson) | Speaker: TBD
- “Dear White People, Black Lives Matter: An Introductory Workshop For White Vegans on Being an Ally”| Speaker: TBD
- “The Origins of the Criminalization of Blackness in the Context of a ‘Race Neutral’ Analysis and how it Helped Shape Policing Policies” | Speaker: Liz Ross
- “ALL Black Lives Matter: Dismantling Transphobia and Heteronormativity in Mainstream Black ‘Conscious’ Plant-Based Dietary Movement” | Speakers: TBD
- “Black Lives [Don’t] Matter: Michael Vick and the Demonization of Blackness Among White Vegans and Animal Rights Activists”| Speaker: Harlan Eugene Weaver, PhD
- “Animal Liberationists for No More Prisons and No More Police”| Speaker: Dr. Anthony J Nocella II
- “Dispelling the Myth of ‘Cruelty-Free’ Commodities Within the Context of Black Lives Matter and a Racist Food System: A Dialogue Between Lauren Ornelas of the Food Empowerment Project and A. Breeze Harper”
- “Pro-Vegan Self-Care for Racial Justice Activists: Building a Long-Term Community of Support”| Speaker: Jessica Rowshandel, LMSW
- “Memory and Betrayal: An Inquiry into Race, Empire, and Relationship During an Era of Black Lives Matter” |Speaker: Martin Rowe
- “Ten ways to combat racism effectively in the vegan community and mobilize activists to be advocates of intersectional issues.” | Speaker: Christian Sebastian McJetters
- “Abolitionist Veganism and Anti-Oppression Within the Context of Black Lives Matter” | Speaker: Sarah K. Woodcock
For Speaker Bios CLICK HERE
OR, CONSIDER MAKING A DONATION TO MAKE THE CONFERENCE AND OTHER SISTAH VEGAN PROJECTS A SUCCESS BY CLICKING BELOW: